Monday, December 8, 2014

So, This Happened!

Photo courtesy of Alice K. Dade

Last night I was so fortunate as to have the opportunity to play Stephen Bulla's "Rhapsody for Flute" with the Columbia Community Band.  It was an amazing experience that I will never forget; but hopefully this will not be the last time I get to play with an ensemble as a featured soloist.  It was just too much fun for this to be a one time thing!  I am grateful that the group of musicians I play with every Wednesday were willing, excited even, to go on this journey with me.  To them, thank you so much!  To my partner in crime who came to support me and help me record the performance, Katie Smyth, you're the best!

Now, what kind of perfectionist flutist would I be if I didn't say that there were moments I wish I could have another go at; however, overall I am quite pleased with myself.  As previously stated in a previous post, I had never done this before.  Sure, I have played many solos within band and orchestral pieces, but the Bulla was new territory for me.  And I played it memorized with no mind slips!  Yes, this is one of those times where I am just going to chalk it up to a great experience and simply be happy with my performance.  

All that being said, the next time I get a similar opportunity I will probably have higher expectations of myself and thus I will prepare a little differently.  You live and learn, right?  About that similar opportunity...any offers?  Don't hold back - I'm ready!

Before I get too far ahead of myself, and last night's performance, here is the fruit of my labor!  Enjoy:


No comments:

Post a Comment