Friday, December 5, 2014

Busy Week: Lincoln University Christmas Concert

Last night I had my first and only rehearsal with the Lincoln University (located in Jefferson City) Vocal Ensemble and Choir.  I am playing flute in what the director has named the Friends of the Arts Orchestra; we are "friends of the Arts"  because we, the group, are made up of two types of people: people in professions outside of music that still play because we love music and professional musicians who went into music because we love it.  Makes sense to me.  And tonight is the performance!

The rehearsal lasted roughly two hours and it was quite the whirlwind experience.  For the orchestra's part, we are a group of musicians that don't normally play together so we had one night to figure out how to gel our sounds and talents together while simultaneously navigating through the music in front of us.  Can I just say how much I love my job?  Then on top of that we had this one rehearsal to get everything together with the combined choirs.  This rehearsal went very well, probably because of the rigid dictatorship displayed by the director putting it all together - that is a compliment by the way.  This woman knows how to run a rehearsal.  We actually got out of rehearsal nearly twenty minutes before the anticipated end time.

As for the music, eleven songs (I can say song because of the singers, otherwise they would have to be called pieces) about Christmas.  What's not to like?  I am particularly fond of John Rutter's "Candlelight Carol"  and "I Wish You Christmas" (not to be confused with the standard "I Wish You a Merry Christmas").  There are some extremely talented singers in this group and I hope that the auditorium will be full of enthusiastic listeners for them to entertain.

Please consider this an informal invitation to the concert!  The music and merriment will begin at 7:30pm in Richardson Auditorium on the Lincoln University campus in Jefferson City.  Come out to support the Arts and a great ensemble of music students...and Friends.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment