Friday, December 19, 2014

One Week Until Christmas: What's On My Stand

Hello, hello!  I apologize for my absence, but, my, has December been a busy month!  As it should be with so many fun holiday gigs to be had.  :)

Recently, my flute duo Pipes & Keys, with Katie Smyth, played a short holiday concert for some of the residents at Lenoir Woods in South Columbia.  It was a great experience that reminded me how important a musician's relationships in the community are; the community in which we live is our patron and we, musicians, could not thrive without the people with whom we exist.  The residents of Lenoir Woods were wonderful and made Katie and I feel very welcomed in their home.  I hope that Pipes & Keys will be back at Lenoir Woods very soon!


With Christmas just around the corner, it is time to gear up for Christmas Mass.  This is another experience that strengthens my relationship with my community.  I am so blessed that I get to celebrate in music with the parish of Sacred Heart every Saturday at 4:30 Mass.  So naturally, I am even more excited to participate in Christmas Eve Mass.  The music director mentioned something about "discussing the music selections" for the Mass with me this Saturday and I cannot wait to do so!  I love being offered the opportunity to take part in the music selection process because it makes me feel more involved and less like a person who just shows up to the performance; I become more invested in the experience and the atmosphere the music creates for the congregation.

I am also pleased to officially announce that I will be playing second flute with the Missouri Symphony in their annual Symphony of Toys concert this Sunday.  There is a 3:00 and a 7:00 performance and I hope you might be able to come enjoy yet another celebration of the holiday season.  You may order tickets online here or call the box office at (573) 882-3781.  I had my first and only rehearsal with Maestro Kirk Trevor last night - it started at 4:00 and ended around 10:15!  It was grueling but also a great deal of fun as I am playing with my partner in crime, Katie Smyth, and the very talented Ryan Wall.  I love playing with them because it is not only fun, but it also pushes me to play better and to be more attentive to the music and my contribution to the group.  I don't want to ruin any surprises in the concert, but let me just say that Ryan sounds beautiful and Katie will be making her debut on a new instrument (not that the instrument was just invented, but rather she has never played it before)!  There may also be a pop culture reference that will make you want to stand up and sing (and you should!!!).  See you there! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment