Monday, December 1, 2014

Busy Week: Columbia Community Band December Concert

This is only the first week of December and I have two holiday concerts coming up: I will be playing in Jefferson City on Friday night and with the Columbia Community Band on Sunday night.  I love playing Christmas music, so I don't really have a complaint; it's just kind of funny that both concerts happen so soon.

This Wednesday evening will be the last rehearsal I have with the CCB before I perform the Bulla Rhapsody for Flute with them on Sunday.  I have only played it with them a few times and as of right now I plan to play from memory.  Playing from memory has been going pretty well.  My main concerns are not rushing (something I want to do in all of my excitement during performances) and playing musically.  I want to give a good performance and playing from memory is only impressive if it sounds well-prepared.  At least, that is how I feel, but maybe this is another one of my ridiculous standards.

So here are the things I have been doing in order to prepare for this new experience (I have never played a solo piece with a large ensemble - I am extremely excited and grateful to have been offered this opportunity!):

1. Listen to recordings.  No joke, I think I have listened to every recording on youtube.com and I definitely have my favorites.


2. Practice at varied tempos. I have played each of the three sections slower and faster (and at tempo) than they are marked to make sure my fingers and air know the music backwards and forwards.  This really tests my ability not to rush and it also helps me double check to make sure I have musical, forward-moving lines.  No one wants to be boring and it is very easy to be boring.  No matter how good the composition is, if your only concern is hitting the notes on the page then you're going to be boring.

3.  Record myself.  I have recordings playing by myself and with the CCB.  I want to make sure I am aware of my sound in both environments.  In the first recording with the CCB, I realized I was only playing loud.  This probably resulted from the awkwardness I felt trying to "play into"  the microphone and the fact that I didn't know if I was being overpowered by the ensemble.  I have never played a solo piece with a large ensemble before; if I didn't record myself, I wouldn't know anything about how I fit into the band sound prior to the performance.  That is terrifying to me.

4.  Play with recordings online.  I have played the Bulla with nearly every recording on youtube.com.  I want to make sure I actually have the piece by memory and that regardless of who is playing "with me" I know when to play.  This checks my ability to follow tempos and to react to different interpretations of the piece by groups/conductors.  

5. Practice my presence.  After the masterclass with Mark Sparks, every time I play I try to recall his comments on posture (which I shared here on my blog in a previous post).  With the Bulla, I try to stand even taller and appear stronger.  I have this feeling that although I may project absolute confidence (I hope!!) that I am going to be a bit uneasy.  I am so excited for this new experience, but I have to remember that it is new.  I need to prepare mentally and physically.
These are things I have been doing outside of all the normal/standard practice I had to do to even learn the piece.  Keep your fingers crossed for me and if you can, come to the performance on Sunday.  The concert begins at 7pm at Hickman High School in Columbia.  We will, of course, be playing much more than just the Bulla; it is a program full of Christmas fun!  I hope to see you there!  If you can't make it, I am planning on video recording it and if all goes well I will post in on my website.

No comments:

Post a Comment