Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Another Busy Week: Preparing for the Weekend


This Friday I have the honor of participating in the Four '15 Quartet Flute Fest which benefits the Voluntary Action Center's Youth Enrichment Fund.  I will be co-hosting an extended technique workshop with Katie Smyth and Justin Cook; considering the topic and the amazing flutists with whom I am working, I cannot imagine this workshop being anything less than just a bunch of fun!

In general, I am excited to have the opportunity to participate in this event because, quite simply, I think the whole idea is outstanding!  What an opportunity for anyone involved including, but not limited to, the four young flutists throwing the shindig, the local flutists who will perform or teach workshops, and all in attendance.  If you are able to take part in the evening's various activities, you really, really should.



On Sunday the Columbia Community Band has its "Winds of March" Concert.  There will be another featured soloist and I get to revisit a piece that I haven't played since high school!  It is one of those pieces that you play and you later wonder if you will ever have the liberty to do so again.  Here is a hint as to what the piece is:  it opens with a delicious melody set in the lower register of the flute and then flows seamlessly into a presto section that could not exist without the percussion section.  Any guesses?  It's really something and if you have no idea to which standard band literature I refer, you definitely need to come to the concert!

I hope I will see you at least once this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment