Friday, March 6, 2015

And Until We Meet Again


I know that this post has nothing to do with playing flute, but last week a community with which I deeply identify lost an inspiring and loving figure.  Father Theodore Hesburgh, former president of the University of Notre Dame, was an educator and man who demanded the absolute best from his students.  There are many who are grateful to have known him, to have known of him, and to be part of the loving family he fostered.  It was during his tenure as the university's president that women were first admitted and it goes without saying that I would never have been able to study at Notre Dame without his belief in a good, well-rounded education for everyone.  My roommate said it best, but I will paraphrase: I am so fortunate and honored to have been, in my own very small way, part of Fr. Hesburgh's life.  I only met him once and he very politely asked what I was doing in the back of an NDSP SUV (for the record, someone stole my bike and I cannot remember why I was in the NDSP SUV).  I choose to celebrate your life, your love, and your influence Fr. Ted.  Thank you for everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment