Friday, October 3, 2014

What I Love About Playing in Church

I have played flute/sang (thankfully mostly played flute), in church choirs ever since I started playing flute.  It is a great experience that I recommend to all flutists, but especially young flutists, because of the environment it creates.  It gives you a chance to just play without judgment.  No one in the congregation is there to critique your playing and if they do, which would surprise me, they are missing the point of church, don't you think?

Not only have I never had any negative criticism while playing with the various parishes I have been a part of, but I have received some of my most treasured compliments.  I will never forget when a member of the Basilica of the Sacred Heart at Notre Dame told me that my presence and playing enhanced her ability to worship through music.  I had done my job as a servant of the congregation; I had helped someone pray via sacred music.

You see, playing in church isn't about being a flute soloist.  In fact, most of the time I sit on the melodic line to help encourage the members of the church to sing with full heart and soul.  Even though church is a safe place, and it is, it is difficult to put yourself out there if no one else is - especially if you are not a trained musician.  The fact that I can make someone feel more comfortable and able to participate in every facet of the Mass is an amazing feeling.  Besides, it is nice to just sit back and relax a bit.  Let's be honest, church music isn't meant to be challenging.  Again, it isn't about showing off or turning it into the "Elysia the Flutist" show.  My goal is to blend in, almost go unnoticed, (::cough cough:: no microphone needed) and subtly bring the musical worship to life through congregation participation.  My job is to be part of the congregation.  My job is not to be a star.

What does that mean?  It means that I play in church because it makes me happy and gives me pleasure.  There is no means to an end.  I am there because I like it and I am part of the parish family.  It is one small way I pray and grow in my faith.

But what I love most is that I know, every Saturday, I get to play my flute for a group of  people who will not end my career if I am slightly flat (though I try not to be) or if I play a wrong note.  It is a safe environment in which I can express myself freely.

Also, Christmas Mass is just fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment