Friday, October 17, 2014

Confessions Of A New Mother Of Two

I love my two boys; they bring me new-found joy and love.

They also give me headaches and absolutely no breaks...at least when they're awake.

I really thought my first-born, Marcus, tested my abilities as a musician;but Haydn has made me completely reconsider awarding myself the "Master of Time Management" trophy.  Together, they tag-team me and make it nearly impossible to get anything done.  It almost seems like one of them has to be upset at any given time.  Sometimes I hit the jackpot and both boys have a complaint to file with me.  However, the if-I'm-lucky two-hour nap time can't be the only time I get work done.  And I can joke about perseverance training, but it is extremely hard and frustrating to attempt practicing with an infant wailing and a two-year-old incessantly screaming "I want!" without ever telling you what he wants.  No, one two-hour nap is not enough, especially since I often am napping at that time too.

So how do I get anything done?  I actually have quite a bit to work on between maintaining this blog, keeping up scales, preparing any audition music or solo repertoire my students are working on, reading on the duets for Pipes & Keys, and practicing my band, competition, and future recital music.  There are also the random fun projects I come up with from time to time...anyways:

For one, I try to keep my various music obligations well-organized. I am not just talking about keeping my desk moderately cleared off (very often, at the end of the week, I am unable to see the cherry color of the wood my desk is made out of because my desk is completely covered in sheet music).  I mean that I have piles of music, multiple piles: a pile for my upcoming competitions, a pile for each of my students, a pile for Pipes & Keys duets, etc.  This may seem obvious or small, but it makes it easier for me to find what I am looking for quickly and it helps to remind me of everything I should be working on.  With two kids, I am writing down everything (like I didn't before) and if I don't write something down or put music neatly in the correct piles, there is a good chance I will forget about...something.

Second, like I said, I write everything down.  I make a schedule for myself.  I write down my practice goals for each day in my assignment notebook.  I write down which pieces I am going to look at and what I am hoping to achieve for the day.  This way, whether I have a good day or a bad day, I can keep track of what I have accomplished.  If I don't get to something, it isn't the end of the world because I know to get to it the next day.  In doing this, I can track my progress and more importantly know that I am, in fact, making progress.  Half the game is mental - knowing that you are getting somewhere is important.

My practice techniques have to be efficient.  Writing down what I want to accomplish helps with this step.  Most of the time, I only practice a small section of the piece in any given session.  Run-throughs are useless early on and often hinder one from making any progress.  You have to focus on the details of the piece and slowly span out to the bigger picture.  This means working on rhythms, dynamics, style, phrasing each in their own individual practice sessions.  Run-throughs are only useful if you are recording yourself to either send to someone else to listen to and comment on your playing, or to listen to yourself.  If you aren't recording your playing, save the complete running of the piece for your lesson or the week before the performance/audition.

Have I mentioned recently the importance of recording yourself?  You really don't know what you sound like until you listen to yourself playing...and I mean truly listen to yourself (meaning not while you are playing).  You may think you are listening thoroughly, and you may honestly be trying, but the truth is in the recording.  You will hear things you don't normally hear.  You might realize that the dynamics and musical ideas you thought you were conveying clearly aren't quite getting through as well as you'd like.  Record, record, record.

Finally, and this one is important, if I notice that I am starting to get frustrated or that I am having a negative practice session, I put my flute down or away and try again later.  The worst thing you can do is practice in a negative environment.  Just walk away and get mentally prepared for your next practice session. There is nothing more terrible than trying to power through Bozza's Image while your toddler is screaming at your feet while shaking your music stand and your infant is crying out of hunger, a dirty diaper, or gas discomfort.  Just put the flute down and walk away.  It doesn't make you weak, it just validates that you are smart.

Have I mentioned that I love my boys?  Three weeks strong...and only getting stronger. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment