Wednesday, August 6, 2014

What I'm Listening to: 12 Girls Band


Every so often it is nice to take a break from listening to the pieces you are working on and listen to something that, in some way, is completely different.  12 Girls Band is one of my break groups.  I remember "discovering" them in high school via an infomercial.  At the time I thought I was so cool because I was listening to "exotic" music on unfamiliar instruments.  In reality, especially in the case of the video posted above, I was listening to a different sound ideal.  12 Girls Band plays some extremely familiar music, such as "Take Five" and "Clocks".  Obviously, they also treat their audiences to some Mozart, Beethoven, and Bach.  At the end of the day, their musical performances are just fun to listen to.

Finding new music to listen to is so easy with the use of tools like Pandora and Youtube.  You may start searching for one specific piece and end up somewhere else entirely by the end.  Personally, I think this is one of the best things you can do as a musician.  You may find a new artist, a new piece, an unfamiliar composer, or revisit an old piece that has been transformed and broadens your understanding and appreciation.  All good things.  Explore on with open ears!

No comments:

Post a Comment