Monday, October 1, 2018

What I Am Listening To/Working On: Nicole Chamberlain Music

As promised in a previous post, I would like to take the time in this post to highlight the work of flutist-composer Nicole Chamberlain. I discovered her music about a year and a half ago.  It all started with Percolate (and this specific recording!):

After that, I scrambled to find where I could purchase this music - everything is on her website (click Nicole's name above) and many of her pieces are also sold through Flute World.  Once on her website, I got lost in an array of music I wanted to own and learn how to play immediately!  I loved her use of extended techniques and the sounds/moods of her pieces.  Did you catch the quote of Mission Impossible in Percolate?

At this point, I have performed Percolate, conducted Railroaded, recorded Chatter, worked on In Cahoots and Asphyxia, and am currently working on Acrophobia.  Clearly, I am obsessed.  But seriously, this music is challenging and so much fun to play.  The use of pizzicato tonguing, beatboxing, jet whistles, multiphonics, and stomps is a delightful workout (no, really, my abs hurt when I am first learning a piece and building up endurance).

Chamberlain seems to be a fountain of new music at the moment and she is writing for a variety of flute ensembles.  Her CD Three-Nine Line, featuring her compositions, was released earlier this year.  That said, recordings of her pieces can be found on her website along with videos posted by the composer or other experts demonstrating the extended techniques in each piece.

You should definitely check out Chamberlain's website and music.  Then find some friends who want to step out of the traditional realm of playing to play these pieces.  You will be glad you did.

Here is the recording of Chatter I mentioned earlier.  I am playing with my good friend Elaine.

No comments:

Post a Comment