Monday, October 15, 2018

Wellness Check!: Upper Body Stretches

I carry a lot of tension and stress in my upper body (neck, shoulders, and upper spine) and post-babies (three boys 6 and under) I found that I needed to realign myself.  My playing posture had taken a huge hit. I was slumping forward and with how close my head was to the stand, you might think I was blind. But that was not the case at all.  Instead, I had become unaware of my body mapping and it could be heard in my playing. Carrying tension in any part of your body and/or being out of balance can greatly impact your playing.

To address this all too common problem, I decided to make a video introducing a flow of stretches and poses that I use every day to release tension and keep myself aware of my body alignment.  I am excited for you to watch, or even better, participate, in this flow with me. If you are new to these stretches and poses, remember that yoga and even basic stretches are part of a practice that you choose to do.  It takes time and commitment to see improvement. Move at your own pace always. I hope that this flow helps you address tension you may be experiencing and leads to more fruitful practice sessions and performances!  Check it out:



No comments:

Post a Comment