Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Performing in the Community: Singing with Full Heart and Voice

I am currently discussing the idea of putting together a sacred music performance at my parish.  Ideally, this is something that would grow into a more regular occurrence, perhaps with more musicians (not counting the congregation) participating over time.  It could create a choir that performs for and with the congregation, playing music they know but don't hear often and teaching them new music that could be incorporated into regular services.  Either way, it is a bonding experience with the members of my church that I really want to happen.

As I attempt to put together a program to present to the church music director, I am trying to balance well-known pieces with new pieces.  I am trying to create a theme of sorts.  I am trying to make the program fun, filled with songs that the audience will want to sing along to and will continue humming long after the performance ends.

This could be tricky though because every parish has its own musical identity.  I know that Queen of the Rosary in fair Elk Grove Village, IL had its own identity solidified in the foundation created by a musical director that had been there for years.  There were songs you anticipated hearing regularly and he had a set list for holiday masses.  The same goes for Sacred Heart in Notre Dame, IN.  Not shockingly, their identity had a strong Irish lilt to it.  The Celtic Alleluia was a standard and with the presence of fantastic in-house sacred music composers, the parish was set in its musical ways.

In both of my previous parishes, there were certain aspects of sacred musical practice that stick with me today.  QR makes me desperately wish there were a guitarist playing with me and then ND's choir came equipped with not only a guitarist, but a flutist, two violins, a cello, and a percussionist.  Of course, I can't expect Sacred Heart here in Columbia, MO to morph into either of the previously mentioned parishes.  I wouldn't want that either.  But I would be lying if I didn't say there were some itches I'd like to scratch that involve some more instrumentalists!  And from my experience, give the right percussionist the right percussion instrument and the music takes on a whole new life and, generally, the congregation seems to enjoy the addition.

As I progress in the planning and realization of this idea, I will keep you posted and, obviously, invite you!  Two things I know for sure:  It will begin with "All Are Welcome" and close with "May the Road Rise to Meet You" because really, could you do it any other way? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment