Saturday, August 25, 2018

Extended Techniques: The New Flute

In my previous post concerning beatboxing, I mentioned The New Flute by Tilmann Dehnhard. I would like to expand on that a bit, in the form of an entire post.  In short, I would say that this book is extremely similar in content (extended techniques) to Robert Dick's The Other Flute; however, I find this book more visually appealing and, overall, more accessible.

Dehnhard not only explains, verbally and in great detail, how to achieve and work on a given technique, he also provides a variety of exercises which begin at a beginner's level and get progressively more difficult.  I personally love having topics broken down into focused, smaller bites.  Makes it easier to swallow.  The topics discussed in this book include, but are not limited to: sing-play, beatboxing, whistle tones, wind noises (i.e. jet whistle), percussive sounds (i.e. percussive articulations), pitch bends, harmonics, multiphonics, circular breathing, tremolos, and flutter tongue.  The book also comes with an instructional DVD.

A particularly cool feature of this book is that Dehnhard combines multiple exercises into a comprehensive etude (of sorts).  While learning to sing-play, he writes an exercise in which you play the melody of a J.S. Bach Bourrée and sing an accompaniment line.

Later, while mastering beatboxing, an exercise using the melody of the Bourrée returns and beatbox syllables have been added to the fray (no singing in this instance).

Finally, a few pages later, the Bourrée is presented as an etude in which you play the melody, beatbox, and sing an accompaniment line.


How cool is that?

For me, this gives me proof of progress.  Not only did I work on mastering specific techniques, I learned a piece in fragments before seeing it all together.  No doubt, if you flip open to the final product, it is more than intimidating.  Yet, having walked through it all on your own terms, at your own pace, putting it all together seems more manageable. This process of chunking music is an important skill to learn and apply in all of your practice sessions; this book sets a good example for how to execute the chunking process.

I am slowly working through this book and will try to do regular updates on how it is going.  My plan is to learn an exercise from the book, record myself, and post the video with a brief discussion on struggles I had and/or how the book helped me improve.  So keep an eye out for that post.  Maybe I will even post the Bourrée in the future.  Just seems like a cool trick to have up your sleeve anyway.  :)  Excelsior!

No comments:

Post a Comment