Friday, July 3, 2015

Flute 101: The Obvious Title of a Flute Method Book

For most of my flute teaching career, I have used the Flute Student method book series.  However, at the suggestion (a very strong - one might say nagging - suggestion) of a fellow flute teacher, I ordered Phyllis Avidan Louke and Patricia George's "Flute 101: Mastering the Basics" book off Amazon.com.  Obviously, I have some thoughts to share because I am blogging about it, and here is the long and the short of it: I think it is utterly brilliant!

Here is a bullet point list of what I consider highlights of the Flute 101 method system:

- The first lesson - sort of a pre-lesson - is called "Fun with the headjoint"
- Lessons 1 and 2 teach G, A, B, and C
- Starting in lesson 3, if the fingering for low and high register notes are the same, you "learn" both notes
- Especially in the early lessons, many of the music selections are repeated in different registers and keys as the student learns more notes (in my experience, young students are more excited to practice and play music they already know)
- There are duets in nearly all, if not all, the lessons (I've never met a student who didn't think it was more fun to play with me and for more "social" students, this keeps the lesson interactive)
- Many of the lessons begin with warm-up suggestions (introduction of the importance of warming up? Be still my heart!)
- Constant bombardment of recognition of playing in a specific key (they do exist!)
- Extremely clear and repetitive introduction to rhythm
- Suggestions and tips throughout on how to play musically in a language easy for younger students to understand
- The book is spiral bound.  This is huge (meaning awesome - not a size reference)...believe me

Okay, okay, I seriously could go on and on and on...but I won't.  My plan for the remainder of the blog is to showcase in more detail one of my favorite aspects of the book.  Here we go!

So, the "pre-lesson" I spoke of:  "Fun with the headjoint" is an organized and accessible introduction to playing the flute with which all of us fine flute teachers are familiar.  The student focuses solely on producing a sound consistently with the headjoint alone.


They are simultaneously introduced to simple rhythms and counting.  Once they have mastered producing a sound, the authors introduce two songs, "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and "Hot Cross Buns", but having the student stick their index finger partially and fully into the end of the headjoint.


In part II of the pre-lesson, the students produce upper and lower register B's with their headjoint by placing their right hand over the end of the headjoint.

From here, there is more practice with ryhthms and playing both registers.  The pre-lesson closes with a teacher/student "Snake Charmer" duet in which the student plays upper and lower B's while the teacher plays the melody.  Super ingenious and super fun!



I highly recommend this book, especially for younglings!  The introduction to sound production, the repetition of songs, and the duets will keep any student excited and focused on learning the flute.  Blogs talking about Flute 102 and Flute 103 to follow! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment